Skip to main content Skip to footer content

Federal Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded program intended to provide part-time employment to students in order to meet part of their educational expenses. Eligibility is based upon certain economic criteria determined by the United States Department of Education.

How does a student apply?

A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at

The student must apply once a year starting in October of every fiscal year. Awards are based upon financial eligibility, timely filing and accuracy of the FAFSA application.

What makes a student eligible for Federal Work-Study?

1.  A student must meet the federal economic guidelines determined by the U.S. Department of Education.

2.  A student must be matriculated and be registered for a minimum of 6 credits (real or equated).

3.  A student must be in good academic standing according to the college's Satisfactory Academic Progress policies.

What types of jobs are available?
There is a variety of jobs available through the Federal Work-Study Program. Students can choose which type of job they are interested in by accessing KBCC's Federal Work-Study resource page 1-3 business days after they have accepted their FWS award on CUNYfirst.

1. On-campus: Jobs are located throughout the campus.

2. Off-campus: City University of New York (CUNY) has contracted with several agencies off of the campus.

3. Public Service Corps: an off-campus agency affiliated with certain city jobs.

How will a student be informed of eligibility?
Once the FAFSA is processed by the Financial Aid Office, the student will receive an award letter which indicates the official yearly award. The student will also receive a special letter from the Federal Work Study Coordinator inviting her/him to login to KBCC's Federal Work-Study Resource page for job placement opportunities.

How much money can a student earn?
A student's Work Study award represents the maximum amount he/she may earn for the particular academic year. The total award a student actually uses depends upon: rate of pay, the total number of hours worked each week and the number of weeks worked that year. Once the maximum FWS award is earned, the student must stop working.

When and where can a student be placed on a job?
When the student receives a letter from the Federal Work Study Coordinator, the student must login to the FWS resource page and apply for a job.  Once the student is hired her or she will be given a FWS Packet to read and complete certain forms. According to U.S. Federal Labor Laws, all students  must complete an I-9 form to verify eligibility to work in the US and submit documentation to prove identity. When students submit these documents to the FWS coordinator then the student can begin working.


 Applying for a Job


When can a student start working?
According to the CUNY Federal Work Study regulations, entering freshmen, cannot begin to work before the first day of classes. If the student previously attended Kingsborough, then the student may begin to work before the semester begins provided that he/she registered for a minimum of 6 credits and meets the Satisfactory Academic Progress policies of the college.

What is the regulation regarding work during the FALL/WINTER sessions?
Students must be registered for the Fall semester to work. If the student registers for the Fall semester but not the Winter intersession, the student may continue to work provided that he/she will not graduate by the end of the Fall semester. The student must stop working immediately by the last day of classes for the Fall semester if he/she expects to graduate by the end of the Fall semester.

What is the regulation regarding work  during the SPRING/SUMMER session?
The student must be registered for the Spring semester to work. If the student registers for the Spring semester but not the Summer intersession, the student may continue to work till the last day of classes for the summer session provided that he/she will not graduate by the end of the Spring semester. The student must stop working immediately if he/she expects to graduate by the end of the Spring semester.

What is the hourly rate of pay ?
Students are paid by the hour. The rate of pay is determined by the job location and the nature of work involved.  The hourly rate for On-Campus jobs is $15.00/hour. The rate of pay for Off-Campus and Public Service Corps begins at $15.00/hour.

How many hours per week can a student work?
Students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. If a student works 6 consecutive hours in a day, it is mandatory that the student take and report on his/her timesheet a     hour break. The student will not be paid for this break; only for hours worked.

How and when  does a student get paid?
Students are paid every two weeks. Students must complete a FWS timesheet online on KBCC's FWS resource page. The FWS timesheet must be approved by the supervisor. Timesheets should be submitted by the supervisor according to the Financial Aid Payroll Calendar. This payroll calendar is given to the student and supervisor every academic year. A timesheet submitted late will result in a late payment. Students are paid according to hours worked during a specific pay period.

What happens if a student needs additional Federal Work Study money?
The student must visit the Federal Work Study Coordinator in the Financial Aid Office to verify if the FWS award can be increased. Students who have earned their entire FWS award, may not continue to work.  A student's supervisor does not have the authority to increase the FWS award, so the student cannot continue to work without the permission of the FWS coordinator. The FWS Coordinator must review the student's cost of attendance to determine if it is possible to increase the award.

What happens if a student does not earn all of her/his Work Study award?
Students will only be paid for the hours worked. If a student does not earn their entire FWS award before the end of the academic year, the unearned portion of the award is returned to the FWS program; these funds cannot be rolled over to the next academic year.

What happens when a student stops attending, drops out or withdraws from classes?
If a student stops attending, drops out or withdraws from classes, he/she must stop working immediately, and must inform his/her supervisor and the Federal Work Study Coordinator immediately.   

Are Federal Work Study earnings taxable?
Yes, FWS earnings are taxable according to federal and state labor regulations.  However, FWS earnings are not included in the calculation of eligibility for financial aid.

Is a student required to report FWS earnings to the unemployment office if they are currently receiving unemployment benefits?
The New York State Department of Labor requires that a student must notify his/her local unemployment office if working under the FWS program.  It is illegal to collect unemployment benefits and work under the FWS program.

Click here for instructions on how to apply for a job and how to complete your timesheet online.

*Please note you will only have access to the website if you have been awarded FWS and have accepted your award on CUNYfirst.*