Skip to main content Skip to footer content

Documentation Guidelines


Apply Now by Filling Out Our Application
Please remember to upload any documentation that you have to support your request for accommodations, on the application page itself.

Students with a disability, who request services or accommodations, will be asked to provide appropriate documentation to support their requests. Examples of documentation include, but are not limited to, a history of previous supports in high school (e.g., IEPs, 504 Plans, teacher/counselor observations/reports), medical records, accommodations received in the workplace, and reports from appropriate professionals (e.g., medical specialists, mental health therapists, learning specialists).

Submitted documentation will be used in conjunction with student self-report to obtain a comprehensive picture of student needs. In determining whether a requested accommodation is reasonable, AAS will consider the student’s disability, history, and experience, and the unique characteristics of the course, program, or activity.

Submitted documentation should:

  • Be provided by a qualified professional with expertise in the specific disability.
  • Include the professional’s name, title, and professional credentials including state licensure or certification number.
  • Be signed by the professional responsible for the documentation.
  • Include the date of when the letter was written.
  • Contain diagnostic information. Please note: Mental/emotional disabilities must be accompanied by a numerical DSM-V TR classification code. All other diagnostic classification codes should be from the ICD-10.
  • Be current. Disabilities may change in nature and severity over time and documentation should support current accommodation needs.
  • Include recommendations and rationale for accommodations that are based on an analysis of how the diagnosis impacts the student’s current functioning.


For general inquiries about documentation please email or call 718-368-5175 or drop in to room D-205 in the West Academic Clusters and someone can answer your questions.